Saturday 17 November 2007

When Will I, Will I, Be Famous?

In the words of the Bros song, I've had my Gullibometer out to test the present 'State of The Union' in my blog world.

A particular post Self Promotion -When Blogs Go Bad got me thinking along these lines and I commented:

"This is a really fascinating post, and captures a significant theme that seems to be emerging about the nature of 'blogging', social media and social influence. There seems to be a split developing between those who are 'into' blogging, and those that are 'about' blogging.

I have found the blogging experience to be a mix of 'intrigue', high expectations and utter banality (especially in the areas you describe) of either claims to 'WOW' insights, 'WOW' money making schemes, 'WOW' products, and 'WOW' blogging tips. Even the stuff I post sometimes leaves me having an inner voice saying 'so what!'...and I wonder if it's the realisation that we ain't as clever interesting, knowledgeable, funny, or smart as we probably first thought that opens a very personal window onto ourselves. That is one of the key things I feel I have learned from participating in the blog phenomenon.

As a form of social interaction it is very much in it's infancy and I'm sure many
of us will revisit it over time and come to new ways of making sense of it as we go."

The spirit of this idea is wonderfully captured by T.S.Elliot in his poem Little Gidding

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. Had never heard of that poem. Great and show that pictures don’t have the monopoly on powerful communications!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Scott, the irony is I first came across the poem at school and didn't really get it!! and then came across it again in some of the change and organisational learning literature

    ReplyDelete